In January 2021, Scientific Magnetics Ltd (UK) and sister company tecmag (USA) merged with Magnetica Ltd. (Brisbane), forming the latest MRI System Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) in the clinical and research MRI markets globally.
Since spinning out of Oxford Instruments Ltd in 2000, Scientific Magnetics Ltd has been designing, manufacturing, testing, and installing bespoke superconducting magnet systems for academic and commercial research. The company also manufacture a standard range of magnets for end-users and our OEM partners and has provided consultancy to blue-chip companies such as Siemens plc and Rolls-Royce plc.
Scientific Magnetics Ltd manufactures tailored WET and DRY (Cryogen Free) superconducting magnet solutions for customer-specific requirements. The team’s technology/capability extends to the following areas:
- Low/High field solenoids and split pairs configurations.
- Multi-access vector rotate magnets, with and without optical access.
- Magnets for operation in UHV environments.
- NMR & MRI environments
- Actively shielded technology for stray field containment
- Low remnant field magnets
- Cryogen- free cooling technologies, enabling ultra-low levels of vibration.
Large bore, high resolution, and low vibration cryogen-free magnets suitable for NMR, MRI and a host of other experimental applications.
A range of bakeable magnets, including Solenoids and Split Pair configurations designed to be conduction cooled for operation in UHV environments.
High/Low field Magnets designed for WET and DRY operation, with low vibration configured for optical and beamline experiments.
High/Low field solenoids designed for WET and DRY operation with a range of homogeneities and experimental bore sizes.
Experts in finding bespoke and innovative solutions to complex problems within the scientific and industrial sectors.
Professional advice and planning for on-site related issues and environmental factors affecting system performance.
Scientific Magnetics can design and manufacture bespoke superconducting magnets for fundamental science and industrial applications, explore our product pages to find out more.
Why Choose Scientific Magnetics?
At Scientific Magnetics, we designed and manufactured standard and tailor-made bespoke superconducting magnet and cryogenic solutions for academic and industrial-based applications for almost 20 years.
We can tailor a superconducting magnet system from the coils initial geometry, through design, to assembly, test and commissioning, working from your technical specifications or experimental requirements.
We manufacture superconducting magnets from both low-temperature and high-temperature superconductors in circular and non-circular geometries.
Scientific Magnetics operates at the cutting edge of superconducting technology. Always striving to push the boundaries of scientific capabilities, we have achieved numerous world firsts in our attempt to find a solution to all our customers’ specific needs. Some notable projects include:
- Cryogen free 7T MRI magnets with up to 240 mm diameter room temperature bore
- Cryogen free 3T MRI magnets with up to 360 mm diameter room temperature bore
- Low helium inventory, 3T whole-body MRI magnet
- Cryogen free, UHV compatible magnets for Scanning Probe Microscopy
- Cryogen-free superconducting magnets for a magneto-plasma rocket engine
- Cryogen free HTS magnets for ECR Ion sources
- Cryogen free magnet for use in Space
- Large superconducting magnet for use in Space operating at 1.8K
- “Cold Iron” superconducting quadrupole for High Energy Physics
- Cryogenic system for a superconducting fault current limiter for a substation